Wow... with his history of being abused and raised on neo-nazi philosophies I can definitely see how he could be spared by the insanity plea. Behavioralist thinking suggests that someone's environment determines how they are. And Cort, it reminds me of our philosophy readings last week; whether someone is responsible for their own actions in such an environment. Well yes, I think he's responsible and the kid seems to have had a clear knowledge of how serious the crime would be but still thought it was worth it. A little part of me initially thought "good for him," for ending the abuse, but I wish he took different measures- like calling the police... and it's AWFUL that that lady said something like "in a way I saw it coming, I just thought it would happen when he was older." Then do something about it how bout?? It's sad how some helpful interference could have maybe prevented a child's abuse and a father's death- no matter how awful of a man he may have been.
First off, I love 60 minutes. Secondly, I agree with the grandmother that it was probably a combination of nature and nurture that led the boy to kill his father. If he always had a tendency to act violently towards others, being around his hatred filled father probably didn't help. It's also difficult to keep in mind that what his father was doing was legal- those are his human rights to have his own set of beliefs and protest in a peaceful manner, no matter how awful they may be. I don't believe raising a child in this sort of environment is the best parenting, however those were the beliefs he wanted to pass down to his child. I think the boy should be held responsible to some extent, but it's clear he needs counseling. The fact there have been a mere 10 cases of a young child murdering his/her parent since the 80's makes it clear this is not a normal issue. It was also concerning as Molly said, to hear that the grandmother could see this coming. As a responsible adult, she should have intervened before it was too late.
but can a ten year old child really process the effects of killing another human being? i do not think sooo!!!! this was a time when his father should have been taking him to baseball games and throwing a football with him not showing him how to use guns and taking him to nazi rallies. My heart breaks for this poor little boy because he is going to be in jail for a LONGGG time
Wow... with his history of being abused and raised on neo-nazi philosophies I can definitely see how he could be spared by the insanity plea. Behavioralist thinking suggests that someone's environment determines how they are. And Cort, it reminds me of our philosophy readings last week; whether someone is responsible for their own actions in such an environment. Well yes, I think he's responsible and the kid seems to have had a clear knowledge of how serious the crime would be but still thought it was worth it. A little part of me initially thought "good for him," for ending the abuse, but I wish he took different measures- like calling the police... and it's AWFUL that that lady said something like "in a way I saw it coming, I just thought it would happen when he was older." Then do something about it how bout?? It's sad how some helpful interference could have maybe prevented a child's abuse and a father's death- no matter how awful of a man he may have been.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I love 60 minutes. Secondly, I agree with the grandmother that it was probably a combination of nature and nurture that led the boy to kill his father. If he always had a tendency to act violently towards others, being around his hatred filled father probably didn't help. It's also difficult to keep in mind that what his father was doing was legal- those are his human rights to have his own set of beliefs and protest in a peaceful manner, no matter how awful they may be. I don't believe raising a child in this sort of environment is the best parenting, however those were the beliefs he wanted to pass down to his child. I think the boy should be held responsible to some extent, but it's clear he needs counseling. The fact there have been a mere 10 cases of a young child murdering his/her parent since the 80's makes it clear this is not a normal issue. It was also concerning as Molly said, to hear that the grandmother could see this coming. As a responsible adult, she should have intervened before it was too late.
ReplyDeletebut can a ten year old child really process the effects of killing another human being? i do not think sooo!!!! this was a time when his father should have been taking him to baseball games and throwing a football with him not showing him how to use guns and taking him to nazi rallies. My heart breaks for this poor little boy because he is going to be in jail for a LONGGG time
ReplyDelete