Clark students in the class "Human Rights and Literature" use this space as venue to discuss human rights issues that come up in our discussions.
Saturday, October 29, 2011
Clark Professor Sucessfully Sues in European Court of Human Rights
Professor Taner Akcam, a world-renowned expert on the Armenian genocide, has successfully sued in the European Court of Human Rights, which ruled that the government of Turkey violated his right to freedom of expression by enforcing a law that quashes discussion of the atrocities committed against Armenians by the Ottoman government during World War I. Here is more on the story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so happy that he was successful in suing the government. Discussion of anything is part of freedom of expression and freedom of speech; I find it ridiculous that they would even try to ban something like that. I also find it ironic that they're trying to act like the atrocities didn't occur... If they were committed among the people I bet the government wouldn't even care about it being discussed but just because the crimes were committed by the government, it's an issue. And in trying to hide their embarrassment they try to inhibit their people from one of their freedoms? Now they really have a reason to be embarrassed.
ReplyDeleteI think it's great that this professor was able to successfully use the European Court of Human Rights. Often systems are so flawed that people cannot actually use them to bring justice. Seeing that it is a member of the Clark Community means that it is not a fabricated story and that a person can take on a country in court to protect their human rights.
ReplyDeleteIf anyone has heard of Hrank Dink, Professor Akcam was friends and co-workers with him. There were many cases against him for use of the word genocide in Turkey and I am very glad that he won this case. He participated in a debate in Turkey today (via Skype) over this issue. (He's my professor that is the only way I know about this.)
ReplyDelete