
I found this political cartoon earlier and thought that it was perfect for a conversation on Persepolis. Although perhaps not a main theme of the book, gender plays a role in Marjane Satrapi's life. In Iran, the gender divide was/is very prominent, most noticeably with the law that all women must wear some form of a veil in public, so as to not attract men.
All of us would probably be quick to say that the veil is something that aids men in oppressing women. But what about our own culture? So much of what we females do is done with the intention to attract a partner -- are we also being oppressed by our patriarchal society? And do we even have the right to judge another culture in the first place?
I LOVE this. We inevitably judge other cultures but we're unable to justly do so because we do not know how it feels to live in another culture and we would be different if we were raised on different beliefs. American culture allows different cultures to coexist, so the veil is still seen here, but as for our media- obsessed, model- influenced, skin- revealing culture- yes, I believe it is male- dominated. True, there are men that have the same appearance issues that many women have developed, and many women claim they dress the way they do "for themselves," but at the end of the day our culture is so media- centered around women showing off their goods for men and competing to be best. I don't think it's always oppressive, I think our society in general is oppressive to less attractive people, but many would claim the culture "gives women empowerment" and that they can use this type of sex appeal to overcome male- dominance. It becomes oppressive when women are being cat- called on the streets or looked at as pieces of meat... then told it's "their fault" for showing their legs or cleavage- no! We should be able to wear what we want, because our culture allows it, and not be harassed. I know men are harassed too but in general there is male- dominance. Pretty much any music video on the charts in the last ten years will prove this. Our media/ culture revolves around women shaking it and men nodding in approval.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with Molly in that our society is so centered around body images, and that we live in a time where women are constantly trying to impress and attract the opposite sex. We have our reasons for acting this way just as women in other cultures have their reasons for wearing veils. We have no right to say what they are doing is wrong or to judge them because of it. Every culture is different, and their reasons for veiling are just as important and should be accepted by others.
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic! I'm pretty sure I've seen this cartoon somewhere or actually heard this being discussed. I completely agree with Molly and Abby, we have no right to judge another culture just because they look like they are being oppressed, because in turn they might actually be doing the same thing to us. I think its strange how similar in our judgements we are. I supremely agree with Abby that our society is constructed around body images and trying to find a mate, and that we should accept all cultures no matter how different in their ways we think they are.
ReplyDelete