It doesn't directly relate to The Reader but I thought it was important to bring up this year's Nobel Peace Prize Laureates.
President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf of Liberia, peace activist Leymah Gbowee, also of Liberia, and pro-democracy campaigner Tawakkol Karman of Yemen all shared the prize this year for their efforts in activism and equality, especially for women's safety and full participation in work. This is seen as a symbol of women's rights, and in fact was directly recognized by the head of the Nobel Peace Prize committee in Norway - women's equality is necessary for the world to achieve lasting democracy and peace.
The three laureates are the first women to receive the Peace Prize since 2004, and most of the recipients of the prize in the past have been men. I was excited when I learned about this, because each of these women are both inspirational and impressive.
To learn more about the Nobel Peace Prize, or the other Nobel Prizes, visit the Nobel Prize website.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.